Wednesday, April 22, 2015

New Country, New Volunteer Job


 "Asilo Infantile Suor Tarcisia Ponchia"

I recently started volunteering at a Kindergarten in my area here in Turin. Yes a Kindergarten, otherwise defined as boogers, bugs, ‘coodies’, a million new names to remember, learning, nap breaks, lots of curiosity, chaos, and fun. Once my interview was confirmed, I couldn’t wait to get started. The school is located just a short walk away from my home, near the center of the city.

Location of my city and school.


 It is called “Asilo Infantile Suor Tarcisia Ponchia” (Scuola per l’infanizia). Their mission statement, much like most educational facilities, has a goal and desire of making everyone active in their educational community so that that particular aspect of their students lives can reach it’s highest potential.

“…Committed to offering students, their families and all who participate in the life of a school experience that brings everyone to be active agents in the Educational Community...”

The school is a religious affiliated school that is managed by nuns, other contributing educators, and has been around for a very long time. They truly take pride in the education and opportunities they provide for their students. When I first walked in to the building to do my interview, tour, and orientation, I was immediately impressed by all the paintings, decoration, and inspiring pieces that decorated the hallways and walls. Artwork from the children, staff, and families filled the building. Whether it was a drawing of a fairytale story they had heard, or a painting of their houses, families, and pets, the crafts were all over the place. I was guided through the classrooms, play rooms, outside garden, and cafeteria. I was completely impressed with everything I saw.

 "Una Storia Lunga 100 Anni" - "With a History as long as 100 Years"

At first I was a bit nervous to be volunteering in a religious school, as I don’t consider myself very religious in general. (It was nearly impossible to find a volunteer job in a Public Education setting.) I was also afraid that I wouldn’t agree with many of the things they would teach. This is because sometimes I’ve found religious schools to give a very narrow-minded education, shielding kids from the ‘real world’. Yet as I continued my first week at the school, I proved myself wrong. The teachers encouraged all sorts of questions and never pushed the children in any sort of direction that wouldn’t let them “think for them selves”. I was very impressed with the school and everything that it stands for.







No comments:

Post a Comment